Meet Our Social Worker: Heather Kwasnick, MSW, LMSW
Heather received her master’s degree in social work from the University of Connecticut School of Social Work in 2011. She spent the last eleven years working with geriatrics and older adults. Prior to that, she spent a decade working with individuals with substance abuse, trauma, mental health, and criminal justice system involvement. She also has eight years of experience working with individuals having intellectual disabilities and dual diagnosis. She was a proud member of the U.S. Army National Guard, where she served from 1998-2004.
At ECHO, Heather works with patients to face the complex issues surrounding cancer. This includes providing emotional support, as well as helping patients with logistical issues.
Heather works closely with patients and their loved ones, and provides guidance in the following areas:
- Coping with a diagnosis and the emotions you may experience
- Providing emotional support and counseling to you, your family, and caregivers
- Improving your quality of life
- Understanding what it is like to live with cancer
- Understanding your financial benefits and insurance coverage
- Applying for financial assistance programs
- Accessing copay assistance programs for drugs
- Finding transportation to medical appointments
- Making decisions regarding your treatment and other areas of your life
- Filling out and filing an advance directive
- Talking with your treatment team, family, and friends
- Finding local support groups
- Connecting you to community resources
As an oncology social worker, Heather plays a valuable role on your healthcare team. Let her serve as your advocate and help you every step of the way. She can be reached at (860)886-8362, x237 or by email at: email@example.com
Watch a short video below to meet Heather.